Semtech UHD-SDI Products to be used in Panasonic’s Next Generation Platforms
Panasonic to develop its next generation UHDTV portfolio using Semtech’s industry leading 12G UHD-SDI interface products
Camarillo, California - April 18, 2016 -
Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, announced that it has joined Panasonic, a premier supplier of imaging technology for the broadcast and production industries, in a collaborative effort to develop Panasonic’s next generation family of UHDTV products utilizing Semtech’s portfolio of advanced 12G UHD-SDI products.
Semtech’s comprehensive portfolio of 12G UHD-SDI products includes the 12G GS12141 retiming equalizer, the GS12181 retiming cable driver and the GS12070 UHD-SDI Gearbox, which will be showcased at Semtech’s booth N5024 at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show on April 18-21 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. In addition, at the NAB show, Panasonic will feature a UHD-SDI interoperability demonstration using Semtech’s 12G GS12141, GS12181 and GS12070 in conjunction with a Panasonic Studio Camera and Switcher.
The GS12070 is a revolutionary integrated circuit that enables seamless conversion between multi-link, dual-link and single-link UHD-SDI interfaces at HD, 3G, 6G and 12G line rates. The GS12141 retiming cable equalizer and GS12181 retiming cable driver establish new industry benchmarks for performance with their advanced feature sets and are the preferred interfaces for next generation UHDTV equipment and infrastructure. UHD-SDI is the only standardized broadcast UHDTV format, and the GS12070, GS12141 and GS12181 empower equipment manufacturers and broadcasters to take a standards-based, commercial off-the-shelf approach to UHDTV infrastructures.
“Next generation UHDTV infrastructures will extensively utilize UHD-SDI interfaces,” said Kunihiko Miyagi, director of Panasonic’s Professional AV Business Unit. “Semtech’s 12G UHD-SDI interface and gearbox products, with their superior performance and features, uniquely position our evolving portfolio of UHDTV products for success in a competitive marketplace, and we look forward to our continued collaboration with the Semtech team.”
“As UHDTV infrastructure continues to evolve, we see rapidly increasing demand for UHD-SDI interfaces,” said Don Shaver, Director of Video Marketing for Semtech’s Signal Integrity Product Group. “Panasonic continues to lead the industry with its advanced UHDTV solutions, and we’re delighted to be working in collaboration with them using our family of 12G UHD-SDI interface and gearbox products.”
Semtech’s UHD-SDI products feature ultra-low power consumption and provide industry-leading performance at 12Gbps rates. UHD-SDI is ideal for UHDTV infrastructures, including routers, cameras, monitors, switchers and more. It offers pristine image quality, is backwards compatible with existing SDI systems, and is standardized by both the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), simplifying UHDTV infrastructure upgrades and reducing risk for broadcasters.
Key Features of the GS12141 & GS12181
- Multi-standard operation: 1Mb/s to 11.88Gb/s for increased design flexibility and a wider range of end-product applications
- Performance optimized: 11.88G/s operation with ultra-long cable reach across data rates (GS12141), enabling designs that offer maximum performance in a wide variety of applications. Ultra-low additive jitter for increased PCB design margin and class leading output return loss performance that surpasses SMPTE specifications at all rates, simplifying board optimization and speeding time to market (GS12181)
- Ultra-low power consumption: Ideal for multi-channel, high density designs to minimize overall power consumption
- Advanced feature set: Output pre-emphasis to compensate for long PCB trace lengths, simplifying PCB optimization (GS12141). Input trace equalization to compensate for long input trace lengths, critical for optimizing performance in 12G UHD-SDI designs (GS12181)
Key Features of the GS12070
- Fully integrated gearbox solution: Eliminates the need for third party IP cores or additional external gearbox development
- Automatic link ordering: Simplifies integration and cabling issues
- Automatic skew correction: Minimizes need for external skew compensation
- Integrated 4x4 crosspoint switch: Expanded range of gearbox applications for UHD-SDI signal switching applications
- Small form factor: Simplifies design integration
- GS12070 Product Page: www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/uhd-sdi-gearbox/gs12070
- GS12141 Product Page: www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/equalizers/gs12141
- GS12181 Product Page: www.semtech.com/broadcast-video/cable-drivers/gs12181
- UHD-SDI Selector Guide: www.semtech.com/images/mediacenter/collateral/Gennum-Video_Broadcast-Guide.pdf
- For technical support or general product inquiries, contact Semtech’s support team.
- For quarterly product updates, sign up for Semtech’s e-newsletter Inside Circuit.
- Find Semtech on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+.
The GS12141 and GS12181 are available now, and the GS12070 will be available in the second half of 2016. Semtech offers comprehensive design assistance, including field- and factory-based support. Data sheets, volume pricing and delivery quotes, as well as evaluation kits and samples, are available at www.semtech.com/info.
Founded in 1918, Panasonic entered the professional video industry in 1981, and is well-known for contributions to the industry provided by cameras such as the Varicam series, codecs such as DVCPRO, AVC-Intra, and AVC-Ultra, the P2 solid-state recording system, which was awarded a Technology and Engineering Emmy, studio camera series, and switchers.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, computing, communications and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words “enable,” “will,” “provide” and “offers” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors”. Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.
Semtech and the Semtech logo are registered trademarks or service marks, of Semtech Corporation and/or its affiliates. Third-party trademarks or service marks mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.