Semtech LoRa Technology and Chipsafer Connects Cattle Ranching to the Cloud
Chipsafer's cattle tags allow ranchers to monitor vital signs
Camarillo, California - August 31, 2017 -
Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, announced that Chipsafer, a start-up focused on Internet of Things (IoT) services for cattle management, used Semtech’s LoRa® devices and wireless RF technology (LoRa Technology) to develop its ranching solutions platform. Chipsafer sensors use LoRaWAN-based gateways and the LoRaWAN™ protocol to relay data from livestock sensors, including body movement, local humidity, temperature and geolocation.
Together with LORIOT, SES and the European Space Agency, Chipsafer conducted three pilot programs for its cattle management solutions in Namibia, Kenya and Luxembourg. During the programs, Chipsafer combined the long-range, low-power benefits of LoRa Technology and LoRaWAN with the ability of satellite technology to reach anywhere on the planet. This combination allowed Chipsafer to deploy its solutions in remote locations, providing ranchers with deeper insights about their business operations.
“Semtech’s LoRa Technology provides us a powerful frame with which to build our platform,” said Victoria Alonsoperez, Founder at Chipsafer. “The low costs of manufacturing and deploying allowed us to focus on what our customers need most.”
One of the key benefits of Chipsafer’s IoT application is the ability to track cattle and monitor their movements. The sensors using Semtech’s LoRa Technology relay an animal’s position to the rancher and sends alerts when the animal deviates from its normal path allowing ranchers to better track their livestock.
“Cattle theft is on the rise globally and Semtech’s LoRa Technology can track cattle herds in real-time,” said Vivek Mohan, Director for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group. “LoRa Technology’s long-range, low-power capabilities let our customers develop use case applications that maintain optimal security for data and location.”
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
• Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
• Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 20 years depending on the application.
• Geolocation: Enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption. • Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
• Open Standard: The LoRaWAN protocol ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers, and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
• Learn how LoRa Technology enables IoT, visit Semtech’s LoRa site.
• Engage with the LoRa Community to access free training and an online IoT Solutions Center showcasing next-generation products to develop customized use case applications.
• Contact Semtech’s support team for technical or general product inquiries.
Chipsafer 是一个可以在任何时间和地点跟踪并检测牲畜行为异常的平台，以期尽快隔离此类异常的爆发。 该公司致力于开发全球性物联网平台，平台采用配备了 GPS 和 Galileo 接收器的低功率广域网 (LPWAN) 传感器跟踪牛群位置，使用专有算法确定每头牛的健康状况。
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, computing, communications and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words “designed to,” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors.” Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law. Semtech, the Semtech logo, and LoRa are registered trademarks or service marks, and LoRaWAN is a trademark or service mark, of Semtech Corporation or its affiliates.