Semtech Innovates in the Smart Home and Healthcare Industries with Next-Generation IoT Solution
Integrated with Semtech’s LoRa Technology, the wearable devices track users close to their home to improve safety and protection
Camarillo, California - May 18, 2017 -
CAMARILLO, Calif., May 18, 2017 – Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, announced its collaboration with Movtek, a leading developer of Internet of Things (IoT) terminal devices and server platforms, in developing a LoRa®-based wearable device that can track the users exact location using GPS technology with the gateway integrated in users’ Smart Home. The technology is currently being deployed in smart watches and bracelets that can be worn by senior citizens and children who need monitoring for safety.
The smart watches are equipped with Semtech’s LoRa® devices and wireless RF technology (LoRa Technology) that features long range, low power capabilities. The features enable deep penetration capability for urban environments and indoor coverage enabling a variety of Smart Home and Healthcare applications. The Movtek devices are currently in pre-production and will be available by the end of 2017.
“Our solutions are ideal for users who need emergency aid or additional monitoring,” said Arnong Lau, Founder and Chief Executive Officer at Movtek. “Semtech’s LoRa Technology enhances our solutions by letting people locate their loved ones in an emergency and is easily integrated in their Smart Home system.”
“As next-generation IoT technologies are developed, there is a need for more Smart Home and Healthcare applications,” said Mike Wong, Vice President of Marketing for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group. “With its low power, long range capabilities, Semtech’s LoRa Technology helps users solve real-world challenges and improve everyday living.”
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
- Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 20 years depending on the application.
- Geolocation: Enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption.
- Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Open Standard: The LoRaWAN protocol ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- Learn how LoRa enables IoT, visit Semtech’s LoRa/IoT site.
- Engage with the LoRa Community to access free training as well as an online industry catalog showcasing next-generation products.
- Contact Semtech’s support team for technical support or general product inquiries.
- Sign up for Semtech’s e-newsletter Inside Circuit for quarterly product updates.
- Follow Semtech on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+.
Movtek China was established in 2016 and headquartered in Hong Kong and develops Internet of Things (IoT) terminal devices and server platforms. The Company’s mission is to promote IoT technology and develop products with creative application. Dedicated to “energy-saving, safety, creativity” and releases three main product lines: smart life, industry IoT and IoT platform. For more information, visit http://www.iot.mk/.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, enterprise computing, communications, and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The Company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words “will,” “designed to,” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors.” Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law. Semtech, the Semtech logo, and LoRa are registered trademarks or service marks, and LoRaWAN is a trademark or service mark, of Semtech Corporation or its affiliates.