Semtech and ZTE to Develop LoRa-based IoT Solutions with Geolocation Functionality
Semtech LoRa Technology provides low-cost, easily implementable geolocation capability to expand IoT use cases
Camarillo, California - April 11, 2017 -
CAMARILLO, Calif., April 11, 2017 – Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, announced it will collaborate with ZTE, a major international provider of telecommunications, to bring to market new low-power, wide area network (LPWAN) gateways featuring Semtech LoRa® devices and wireless RF technology (LoRa Technology) that enables native, GPS-free geolocation functionality for Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
Since 2016, ZTE has rapidly deployed IoT applications based on the LoRaWAN™ protocol that is standardized by the LoRa Alliance™. Semtech and ZTE will develop and test gateways with enhanced features including native and GPS-free geolocation. The companies will also work together to make new gateway and other IoT solutions more commercially available. Semtech’s geolocation functionality uses a hybrid mix of time stamping techniques to locate sensors relative to gateways without requiring additional hardware/space, battery power, and other costly add-ons.
“ZTE’s commitment to bringing commercial IoT solutions with geolocation functionality to market will help accelerate the adoption of IoT applications in China,” said Mike Wong, Vice President of Marketing for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group. “Our LoRa Technology enables geolocation functionality without added hardware, giving application developers a low-cost and easily implementable solution for tracking applications.”
“After extensive testing, we are excited to enhance the current features our ecosystem of LoRa-based IoT applications,” said Liu Jianye, Vice President at ZTE. “Our goal is to deploy over 10,000 gateways and millions of sensors in China and beyond.”
Key Features of LoRa Technology:
- Long Range: A single base station using LoRa Technology enables deep penetration capability for dense urban environments and indoor coverage, while also providing the ability to connect to sensors more than 15-30 miles away in rural areas.
- Low Power: The LoRaWAN protocol was developed specifically for low power and enables unprecedented battery lifetime of up to 20 years depending on the application.
- Geolocation: Enables tracking applications without GPS or additional power consumption.
- Low Cost: LoRa Technology reduces up front infrastructure investments and operating costs, as well as end-node sensor costs.
- Open Standard: The LoRaWAN protocol ensures interoperability among applications, IoT solution providers and telecom operators to speed adoption and deployment.
- To learn how LoRa enables IoT visit Semtech’s NEW LoRa/IoT site.
- Engage with the NEW LoRa Community.
- Contact Semtech’s support team for technical support or general product inquiries.
- Sign up for Semtech’s e-newsletter Inside Circuit for quarterly product updates.
- Follow Semtech on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors for high-end consumer, enterprise computing, communications, and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The Company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words “will,” “commitment to bringing,” “designed to,” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors.” Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law. Semtech, the Semtech logo, LoRa and LoRaWAN are registered trademarks or service marks, trademarks or service marks, of Semtech Corporation and/or its affiliates. Third-party trademarks or service marks mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.